1. Nothing says Spring Break more than the party peninsula, Florida. Head South to Key West where you'll find pet-friendly accommodations to fit your budget and many restaurants with outdoor dining areas so that your dog can join you for dinner. Key West also has an off-leash dog beach so that your pooch can get in some quality social time without restrain. After a day at the beach, Bringfido.com recommends heading over to the Afterdeck Bar at Louie's Backyard. According to their site, "As long as the dog has dried off and is leashed, you'll both be allowed to have a drink at the waterfront bar."
2. This might not be your typical Spring Break locale, but if you want to avoid the party goers, a taste of wine country might be just your speed. Petfriendlytravel.com recommends the Russian River Valley in sunny California. This area of Sonoma County offers more than just wine-tasting. There's beach-combing, hiking in the Redwood forest and off-leash river beaches, plus the largest selection of pet-friendly lodging in the area.
3. For a "cooler" Spring Break spot, try Chicago! Check out Montrose Dog Beach for some off-leash action. Chi-town also boasts a variety of dog parks. Check out Chicago Canine for more info and a great "things to bring" checklist.
4. Woofstock! In San Diego at Balboa Park on April 12th (four days after my birthday, for anyone who’s counting), check out this fun festival featuring delicious food (for you and your furry friends), tie-dyed shirts (so 60's chic), flyball, and freestyle dancing. Singing: "Imagine all the people ..." and dogs! Groovy!
5. Last but not least, you won't go wrong in artsy Austin, TX. Dogfriendly.com has a great guide to help you plan your trip. You'll find plenty of pet-friendly accommodations to choose from, plus a variety of off-leash dog parks and a long list of restaurants who offer patrons on four feet a seat at the outdoor tables. Head over to Town Lake to play along the beach and check out the popular Congress Avenue Bridge. If you stay 'til dusk, you can watch America's largest urban bat colony emerge!
Wherever you go, enjoy this week-long Summer teaser and don't forget sunscreen ... for you and your dog!